What better way to investigate how and why things work the way they do than to roll up your sleeves and explore for yourself? Imagine the look on the faces of your students as they discover how electric currents travel through different materials, or how air pressure helps keep objects afloat. These discoveries and more are waiting to be revealed at the Discovery Center.
Here are some quick links to get you started toward a field trip at the Discovery Center:
FIELD TRIPS ARE AVAILABLE FOR GROUPS THAT...
- are K-12 students and their chaperones,
- have a minimum of 25 and a maximum of 150 people,
- pay with a single form of payment, and
- are booked in advance.
FIELD TRIPS INCLUDE:
- Educator Resource Guide
- Group greeting
- 2 hours to explore the Center
- Reserved lunch space on a first-come, first-served basis (not available in the summer)
School year field trips are $4/participant; summer trips are $6/participant. Teachers and other chaperones pay field trip pricing when they are within the 1:10 minimum and 1:5 maximum ratio. Chaperones who exceed a ratio of 1:5 will pay regular admission prices.
We accept credit cards, cash, and checks. Final payment is due when you arrive, and will be calculated based on the number of students and chaperones present on the day of your visit (not the estimated number from your reservation). For this reason, pre-written checks are discouraged. Purchase orders are not accepted.
NEEDS-BASED SCHOLARSHIPS. Additional needs-based scholarships are available for qualifying groups. Qualifying groups are identified by the school’s percentage of students who are eligible for free and reduced lunches (FRL). Adult chaperones within the recommended ratio of 1 adult per 5 students are included in the group’s field trip rate, with any additional guests and chaperones paying general admission pricing.
The traveling “Bodies Human: Anatomy in Motion” exhibition will run 12/14/18—3/22/19 in Gallery 2. An additional fee, at a reduced School Field Trip rate of $2 per participant, is required for entrance. The remaining Galleries will be open for regular visitation. You can find a printable handout of this information HERE.
*Chaperones beyond the 1:5 maximum ratio must enter under general admission pricing
WHY THESE PRICES?
General admission pricing to the Discovery Center is $10+ (depending on the exhibition). Due to the generous support of our community and members, we are able to offer reduced admission pricing of $4.00 per person for groups visiting the Center. We recognize that there are many shapes and forms of need and are grateful to be able to offer additional scholarship assistance through the support of our community partners and sponsors including:
- Idaho STEM Action Center
- Idaho State Department of Education
- Applied Materials Foundation
- U.S. Bank Foundation
- Union Pacific
- Gladys E. Langroise Advised Fund in the Idaho Community Foundation
- The Whittenberger Foundation
- Larry H. Miller Charities
- Kissler Family Foundation Philanthropic Gift Fund in the Idaho Community Foundation
- Statewide Education Philanthropic Gift Fund Idaho Community Foundation
- AND Discovery Center of Idaho Members!
SCHEDULE YOUR TRIP
HOW TO SCHEDULE A FIELD TRIP:
- Click here and fill out the form or click the link to the right under "Book Your Field Trip"
- Our Reservation Specialist will contact you soon!
- Receive a confirmation and reply within 1 week
- Come to the Center to learn and have fun!
We schedule carefully to ensure quality experiences. Start times stagger every half hour and are scheduled during Center hours of operation from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Availability is limited to ensure quality of experience.
Click to download this handy print-out to check off items as you go, or follow the list below:
At least two weeks out:
- Request a reservation via our online form
- Confirm your reservation via an email with our Reservation Specialist
- Secure your transportation for the day and make any other logistical plans
- Review the Educator Resource Guide to plan how this visit can be “field work” for your students and connect back to STEM content in your classroom; contact our Education team if you have any questions about how to plan for your visit
About least one week out:
- Identify and count your chaperones*
- Respond to the email from our Education Manager with your final reservation details and some background about your group
The day of your trip:
- Bring in your completed check-in form (Click to download the check in form)
- Check-in and pay based on the final numbers in your group that day
- Have fun!!!
BOOK YOUR FIELD TRIP
Book your field trip here. Book early as availability is limited. Click the icon below to fill out the Field Trip request form.